Crypto first arrived there after he learned of the town's existence in Rockwell. During his first visit to Santa Modesta, Crypto infiltrated the Mayor of Santa Modesta's Pool Party, killed the Mayor and most of the other guests, and ultimately obliterated the bulk of the Santa Modesta Police.
Crypto later attempted to take over with televised mind control after he prevented Sleepy Ernst and Majestic's attempts to do the same, but that backfires and killed many people. Crypto later retrieved the irradiated brains of the victims. Crypto later destroyed Majestic-controlled fast food restaurants and survived an attack by an Army convoy in the area. It was during that mission that Crypto learned of a mind-control experiment in Rockwell and of the Furon DNA located at Area 42.
On his final mission in Santa Modesta, Crypto tested out the Quantum Deconstructor. Crypto was never required to return to Santa Modesta. Santa Modesta's time was late morning. It was depicted as a stereotypical 1950's American town with near-identical houses (each with a television aerial), a television station, a bowling alley, and several diners. Men wore polyester jackets and housewives walked around in robes. The Invasion Site was based off of Santa Monica, California and was a parody of Santa Monica. The newspaper for that town was "The Santa Modesta Tribune".
- Motels: Two motels in Santa Modesta. One was a Majestic base, which Crypto destroyed. The other was where the Mayor hosted the pool party.
- SMCBS Station: One of the most important buildings in Santa Modesta. It was where Bert Whither gave his news report. It was also a checkpoint in the side missions.
- Baseball Field: An unused, but large area in Santa Modesta. It had a score board and some bleachers. A scientist was found there (replaced by 2 suburbanmales in the remake).
- Santa Modesta Mall: The suburban shopping district and the place where Crypto abducted a Majestic Agent.
- Bowling Alley: A bowling place and where the mission, South by Southwest, started.
- Lighthouse: A large fortified area that the Police and Majestic used to keep Bert Whither safe. At the end of the mission, "Foreign Correspondent", the newspaper stated on the bottom of the paper that the lighthouse would demolished in a place of a fair.